Old 06-29-2005, 11:53 PM   #5
AcquaCow
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 36838
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2000 RS, 2001 RSTi,
and a 2011 WRX hatch...

I'm at 77,3XX right now and the cooling side of the headgasket is fine. Conditioner was added at 55k. Mine's leaking about a quart of oil every 2 weeks from the oil return lines at the bottom of the block. The headgasket is supposed to keep that oil in there, but it's not and Subaru says that's not a warrantable condition for headgasket replacement. The headgasket MUST be leaking coolant for that to apply.

I was looking at repair options and the cheapest is $600-700. To have a dealer do it it'll cost me about $1500.

I figure I can pick up a used EJ25 for a few hundred dollars, do the headgaskets on it myself AND get the cams reground for sub $700...

Then I'd fix the gaskets on this motor and turn that around for someone else. Other than the leaky gasket, the motor is in perfect shape.

I'd do the whole WRX swap thing, but I don't have the down time to complete it right now. I don't have a second car and I don't have a garage, so any swaps I do have to be rather simple. I figure dropping a fresh EJ25 in place of my current one is the fastest/cheapest/best option.

-- Dave
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
AcquaCow is offline   Reply With Quote