Scooby Guru

Member#: 8512
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2002 WRX chassis...
stage-infinity.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Complex
Who in their right mind would run a standalone ECU while still running a TMIC, though?
Who in their right mind would make sweeping assumptions about the characteristics of standalone owners?

TD05H-16G +
EJ207 shortblock +
TGV deletes +
TMIC +
Street/autocross +
Want to tune it myself +
Personally feel that piggybacks are hacks +
Purist mentality +
No emissions testing in state =

I own a standalone.

Quote:
Now don't get me wrong, I am sure having it pre-turbo would work
Would work? Does work.

Quote:
but the joe blow on the street tuning his own car would likely go up to the point of detonation, and pull back a hair, basically creating an "on the edge" map that would very likely have problems of detonation if tuned for non-heatsoaked situations.
WhoTF cares about the case of "Joe Blow" street tuning a standalone that he hasn't taken the time to understand?

Your argument is that "someone foolish on the street tuning a standalone to the ragged edge of detonation in non-heatsoaked conditions may blow up his engine!!!"

? ? ?

In Joe Blow's case, which I couldn't really care less about, the Hydra, for one, will adapt to the knock as the heat builds and causes issue. Depending on the configuration, timing may be retarded and fuel may be added due to the knock. If it crosses a threshold, the backup spark map is used, etc etc etc.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
jblaine is offline   Reply With Quote