Joelk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 7790
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2003 wrx
sy

Default Noisy tachometer??

I have a strange clattering noise from what sounds like inside the dash of my car. I can only hear it when I'm inside the car. Under the hood I can hear the valves ticking away, but that's a different sound.

The valves are a very steady, consistent ticking noise. This noise goes up and down with RPM, but it's not a steady tick, the only word I have for it is a clattering sound.

My old S-10 used to have a squeaky speedometer in cold weather, and this sounds kinda like that, except it is RPM dependant, not speed dependant. It gets louder when the weather is colder, but it doesn't seem to be affected by engine temperature.

So, is there anything spinning inside the tachometer? I don't think it's cable driven, but does it have a magnet spinning past a coil to move the needle up?

Otherwise, what else is in the firewall / dash region that could make a clattering noise like that?

Is it maybe my starter gear not dis-engaging (I just thought of this...) The starter is in about the right area that I'm hearing this sound, the gear spins out and makes contact with the flywheel when you hit the starter, then it should spin back after the car starts and stop spinning. Hmm... now that I think about it, that might be it, it sounds about right...

Anyone have ideas?

Thanks

Joel
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Joelk is offline   Reply With Quote