View Single Post
Old 09-17-2005, 07:48 PM   #1
7andSubie Owner
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 85426
Default Oil in spark plug hole

First of all, forgive my ignorance if this is a stupid noob question - I've been driving a rotary for 9 years so this is a new-fangled engine to me

I bought new spark plugs today for my 2000 Legacy (2.5L). I was just now looking at how difficult a job it would be and for the heck of it tried removing the boot from the #1 plug. Other than not even being able to get the boot off the plug, I also ran into what - to me - seems to be a problem.

There is a fair amount of oil coming from the chamber - enough to run down the side of the block and drip onto the garage floor. Now, as I said, I'm a bit ignorant on non-rotary engines, but this seems very NOT right.

If I am correct on this and it is not normal, what is it a sign of? The car has been running fine, although slightly rough at idle (which is a large reason for buying the new plugs). I haven't noticed any smoke or anything, but I do occasionally get a whiff of something that smells at least a bit like oil burning.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated! Luckily, I purchased an extended warranty when I bought in May 04.

Thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
7andSubie Owner is offline   Reply With Quote