Update 6/28/06: go to page 4 for pictures of JDM air splitter kit.
Here is a write up on how to install USDM STI TMIC on your WRX.
Thanks to GDR, Big Sky WRX and Supermarkus for good information & tip.
1. USDM STi TMIC is not a simple bolt on mod like JDM TMIC. V7 JDM STi TMIC is noticeably bigger than USDM TMIC. Price difference is around $150-200 between the two.
2. When you buy a USDM STi TMIC, check to see if it comes with a Y-pipe
as it can be costly to purchase one separately.
3. You will notice that Y-pipe to turbo hose is about 1" short in order for TMIC to have perfect fitment!
Order 2" 90 degrees ID hose. You will have to cut about 1 cm to create a perfect fit.
Cut your Silicone y-hose (if you have one) by installing 1 7/8" OD coupler after cutting the hose as shown here:
4. Mounting bracket won't align on passenger's side of STi TMIC. This is perfectly normal for USDM TMIC to not correctly align with bracket. Reason for this fitment issue is because OEM throttle body hose is about 1" short.
order 2.75" ID turbo hose (3" in length). 2.5" ID hose won't work!
5. WRX splitter and seal won't align correctly!
order air splitter and seal kit from rally spec
RST-9085kit Air Splitter & Seal Kit MY02-03 $84
6. Will chimney type heat shield work with STi TMIC? NO
7. My STi TMIC didn't come with a Y-pipe. Will my stock plastic WRX IC y-hose work?
No, only way it will work is if you have STI TMIC to sit tilted without both brackets tightened.
Feel free to add other useful tip & advice here!