Old 05-14-2006, 10:21 AM   #11
fourstrokephysics
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 92132
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
1997 OBS GFA
Blue

Yeah but the wrecked 03 WRX for my 97 OBS was only 5000...I used the dash, engine, transmission, rearend, brakes, hubs, axles, front control arms(+20mm wheelbase with no need the roll the fenders), seats, entire wiring harness (no harness splicing necessary if you do a dash swap too). The WRX already had a catless uppipe and downpipe and with the longer WRX gears in the lighter chassis, its a highway screamer. You have to use the WRX crossmember and the WRX front swaybar (or if you get an aftermarket sway bar, you'll need a 02+ sedan front swaybar, or an 02+wagon FSB if you don't do the transmission swap too. You'll gain a rear LSD by doing the tranny and rear end swap. Use the WRX front control arms if you use WRX sedan front axles (i guess this is if you're going to do a drivetrain swap too) but then you also get a set of 4 wheel disc brakes that are pretty damn good when you put them on a lighter car. Also you have to swap in the pedal box if you're going to go with the WRX tranny. Sure the 4.11 gear might be kinda quicker but that 3.90 gear isn't too bad either..I like it on long trips. An STi swap would be wicked fast but also wicked expensive and there are other issues to deal with such as the electronic throttle control. It requires fabricating a bracket to hold your gas pedal. Other than that the swaps are very similar other than the price issue. 10K is not unreasonable for an STi swap. I did my WRX swap for 5K and I outrun 350Zs all day long. Also that was in a 4 door OBS wagon, I can only imagine what the two door coupe is like. It's all up to your budget i guess.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
fourstrokephysics is offline   Reply With Quote