Scooby921
Thanks Sir Alex!
Member Sales Rating: (17)

Member#: 88606
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2011 GMC Sierra
'13 JCW

The rest of my suspension includes whiteline 22mm FSB and 24mm adjustable RSB. I skipped the strut braces since they'll make the daily drive more harsh. I also skipped endlinks since I can't justify $100+ for a couple small pieces of metal until the plastic ones snap.

From a street driving perspective they are good on most roads. Its hard to have a bad suspension on smooth roads. Like any upgraded suspension, these are definitely stiffer and a little rougher over bumps and pot holes. But given the spring rates (448lb/in front and 335lb/in rear), these perform very well. I was expecting a very rough ride and some kind of kidney massage. In reality, they aren't bad at all.

I'd compare the ride to that of the Espelir GT spring / Tokico D-spec strut combo I was running before. Those springs are only (280f/230r). The PIC's are 1.5 times stiffer, but ride almost the same. Only over the larger bumps and holes do you notice the stiffness difference. Instead of a bounce and a bit of a jarr, you will get a sudden jounce and feel the vibration. Overall noise isn't bad. That is the NVH / BSR trade-off with stiffer suspension components.

Street comfort is bearable for me and most people I know. So far no one has complained about the ride. Most comment on how tame it seems. It kinda shows the effort PIC put into valving the dampers for streetability. I haven't been in many other cars with coilover setups, so its hard to gauge these against other options. I have a friend installing Tein Flex's this weekend. I'll have to try those out and compare. I'd expect them to be worse for ride quality simply because they are valved for smooth roads and race tracks.

I will say that the worst part of my suspension is the seats. Its pretty common knowledge that the stock seats are like a spring board. I haven't mentioned the bounciness in the ride because I know its the seats, not the suspension. That is definitely something to consider when hauling family though. Short trips are not a problem. Long drives may get annoying on bad roads. Of course that can be solved by swapping in some new seats (Sparco Torino or Monza perhaps).

EDIT: Someone commented on the bounciness description above...here's an update:

I suppose I wasn't clear enough with that description. Its not a constant bounce on every road for every mile. It generally happens to me while driving on a crappy highway surface. One where they've cut the concrete every 15 feet creating constant bumps. Its not just these coilovers, its every suspension setup I've had on my car...even stock.

The problem is just further amplified by the rather soft, cushy, bouncy stock seats. I haven't really had a problem on most other road surfaces. I also think you could reduce the amount of bounce and pitch by playing with the damping some more.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Scooby921; 06-05-2006 at 12:41 PM.
Scooby921 is offline   Reply With Quote