View Single Post
Old 06-10-2006, 09:32 PM   #1
quentinberg007
Scooby Guru

Member#: 7887
Default Another Mountain Biking Thread!!!

Right now I ride a near stock 2004 Rockhopper.
- A1 aluminum frame
- Manitou Six 80-100 mm travel fork
- Shimano Alivio shifter/brake combo
- Shimano Alivio Front Derailleur
- Shimano Deore Rear Derailleur
- Pretty basic entry level stuff as with the rest of the stuff above
- Shimano SPD clipless pedals (only not stock item)

A friend has offered to sell his built bike to me for $1500.
- 2004 Specialized Enduro S-Works frame ( )
- Specialized XC handlebars
- Hayes HFX 9 Carbon hydraulic disk brakes
- Shimano XTR Rear Derailleur
- Shimano Deore Front Derailleur
- Manitou Minute 2 Fork (130mm travel)
- Sram trigger shifters
- Other pretty decent stuff

I started riding in 2004. The last couple months, I've been feeling like the bike is the bottleneck of what I can do. I've been doing a lot rougher stuff that would be a lot more fun with better brakes and suspension. What I've been riding has also got me thinking that a full suspension would be nice. Hence the Enduro.

I figure I could upgrade the rockhopper w/ a Deore front derailleur, as I've been pretty unhappy with the Alivio piece. Also, I'd really like to get disk brakes (Avid Juicy 5) as I end up riding in the wet a lot and the v-brakes just don't seem to have enough bite a lot of times. I also think my ride would be much improved with a better front fork. It was fine for the early days, but the stuff I'm riding now seems to cater to an air sprung fork.

Should I save a couple more pennies and jump to far better setup in the S-works or just do the $600 in upgrades to my rockhopper? The bike was only $500 new.

Plan C is to keep riding the hell out of my rockhopper until I break it, make a sad face to my fiancee, and her buy me a new bike (she makes a lot more money than me. )

~~Quentin
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
quentinberg007 is offline   Reply With Quote