Old 06-13-2006, 08:46 PM   #55
t3hWIT
Scooby Guru

Member#: 58779
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
95 STi RA (rhd)
98 Tacoma (300k Club)

Just a note, I received an ebay underdrive pulley set from irishhockeypimp when I did an engine swap for him because he decided not to install it. It said its for a WRX, though I really don't think it will matter on my 2.2 I am swapping in. My point is, it is not just a smaller aluminum crank pulley, but it also has a smaller pulley for the alternator, so it will still spin at about the same speed. The only real question is how easily I can install the small pulley on the alternator.

Another thought... I spent almost 6 months worth of weekends and/or thursday allnighters, swapping an ej20 into a 99 RS. Much much more time and money was spent than originally planned. The car was incredibly quick IMO (though I haven't driven many quick cars). As stated, it does seem easier, quicker, and cheaper to build up a NA motor and out perform an EJ20T. One thing to keep in mind though, once your NA motor is built, its built, you've pretty much reached your limit. As for swapping engines, your car will be about as quick as a built NA, but you have the option of now going faster with more upgrades.

Just my .02. I'm doing a bit to this 2.2 before I put it in, but I will have a spare 1.8 sitting around, and a 2.5 shortblock in my basement collecting dust and needing a rebuild. Some of the classes I am taking at school will give me the option to do some headwork, so maybe one day...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
t3hWIT is offline   Reply With Quote