Scooby Newbie

Member#: 50381
Vehicle:
02 WRX 06 Tribeca
Silver Atlantic Blue

Default Not kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB_Dad
You realy averaged 24MG? I am only getting 16.5...
I was pleasantly surprised, set the cruise at just over 70 for the freeway parts when traffic allowed for it. Manumatic sportshift for the mountains driving pretty at a good clip and hardly any urban driving for that trip. Was at 24 mpg avg when we filled it up.

In the city/suburbs more like 17-19 It gets better with a few more miles on it. Other tips I found that work is to accelerate moderately as opposed to totally babying it in the city/suburbs-get up to the upper gears quickly. Sportshift it to really short shift it.

It is never going to be an economy car but compare it to the new Audi Q7 V8- A larger and more luxurious but quite similar vehicle in terms of interior size/cargo area/functionality/ammenities and yet doesn't handle quite as well as the Tribeca, only .5 secs faster to 60 with the V8 and Edmunds averaged 11.4 mpg. Yikes!

I did one test as gas was approaching $4.00/gallon here in CA. Set the cruise at 65, reset the odometer and drove for about 15 miles on the freeway- Trip computer read 29 mpg avg! Optimistic to be sure but what the experts say is true: Every 5 miles/hour increment above 60 will really start to take a toll on mileage. Gawd its hard to drive under 75 though!

But thats what I have the WRX for.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Tpolerex is offline   Reply With Quote