View Single Post
Old 09-04-2006, 09:09 PM   #1
Wylde Horses
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 61255
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
dirty silver

Default Suprisingly, I'm not that frustrated...

After some plans I had for today fell through, I decided to work a little on my mustang (replace an O2 sensor) and then give some attention to the WRX. I decided it was time to replace the sparkplugs, finally install the K&N intake I had sitting in my room for a couple months, and then run down to Canadian Liar for some oil & a filter to do an oil change. So I pull out whats left of the stock intake (I had removed the baffle in the fenderwell some time ago) and get to work on the passenger side sparkplugs.

I felt pretty good with my progress after those two (little did I know they were by far the easiest of the four) and started to work with the K&N Typhoon intake. I had assembled everything pretty much the night I bought it, so I figured it should be just a simple matter of popping it in and moving on. Wrong! The heatshield was not fitting around the powersteering pump (I think? the thing that sits right between the bottom half of the stock air filter box and the headlight). There was no way it would fit in there. After playing with it for ~20 minutes, I went and grabbed the instructions, and right away something jumped out at me that I hadn't noticed before - this intake was for the Legacy GT. I figured to myself, maybe it's just the heatshield that's the problem, so I removed it and tried with just the pipe and filter, and it was still coming in contact with the powersteering pump.

So I gave up, threw in the stock airbox again, and moved on to the driver-side sparkplugs. Even after I had removed the windshield washer tank and battery, the spaces were still so tight it made it really ackward to get at the coils and at the sparkplugs. I will hand it to Subaru though, they have done what they can to make the job easier - it took ~15 minutes of struggling with the rear driverside coil to figure out why they are threaded. Once I clued in and screwed the bolt part way in, it came out much easier.

So now, after spending probably an hour longer then I estimated messing with the car, I've only finished 1 out of the 3 things I originally intended to do. I have to step out shortly so the oil change will have to wait. Surprisingly though, I'm not very frustrated, just a little upset at getting the wrong intake. Speaking of which, have a look at my new add in the classifieds! ===> clicky.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Wylde Horses is offline   Reply With Quote