View Single Post
Old 09-28-2006, 06:42 PM   #13
scot3818
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 122994

I can now switch to my own video input whenever I want. Here is eventually what I did:

1) Found the correct Molex connector at the local PC superstore. It is the same connector as the small power jack on an ATX motherboard, so all you need is a $1.50 ATX Pentium 4 Molex adapter.

2) Purchased a video camera at Fry's for $39.99 that has auto night-vision. Comes with 100ft of cable so you'll need to strip quite a lot off it.

3) Removed the monitor and wired up the Molex connector onto a 4 conductor shielded wire. Found out that the ground of the camera is sufficient to let the monitor know a camera is hooked up. When I grounded it to the monitor case I got a ground loop with camera interference. The ground of the power for the camera is enough for the monitor to sense the camera.

4) Cut wire 10 on the back of the monitor (reverse) and hooked it up to the 4 conductor wire. The other side of the nr.10 wire I taped up and is now unused.

5) Tapped onto wire 2 on the back of the monitor (+12V) and hooked it up to the last spare wire on the cord.

6) Ran the cord from the monitor down into the center console

7) Installed a switch inside the center console to patch reverse and +12 together. That way the monitor thinks you are in reverse. NOTE: if you don't cut the reverse wire then putting +12 on the line will turn on your reverse lights any time you switch to the monitor. So far I haven't found any problems with the map not having the reverse signal. I can imagine it may lose a little accuracy if you back out of a parking spot, but the gyro and gps will compensate for that.

8) Hooked up my camera onto the headrest in the back, looking down at the seat so I can see my daughter

9) Connected the camera to the 2 video/ground wires coming off the monitor

10) Connected the camera to a DC plug inside the center console

11) Put all the wires and the switch into a small project box and cleaned up all the wiring.

The result is now that I have a kiddie cam so I can watch her while driving. The quality is great and I'm impressed with the night vision lights.

The dash is pretty easy to work with and most trim is easy to remove. Total cost for this was under $45 and it took around an hour.

Tools you'll need:

Screwdriver, wire cutters/strippers,plastic trim wedge, fish tape or long piece of plastic to pull wires, electricians tape.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
scot3818 is offline   Reply With Quote