View Single Post
Old 10-11-2006, 08:54 PM   #151
Volk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 128849
Vehicle:
1995 Impreza L wagon
Blue

This is more of a first impression than a full review, and these tires are replacing stock, worn out 14" tires on the test car, so there is a bit of apples to oranges comparison here. I'm comparing their performance to similar sized Pirelli P Zero tires mounted on my old RX-7 turbo.

Tire tested; Conti Extreme Contact 205/40/17 mounted on Kazera 17x7" wheels bolted to a 1995 Impreza wagon.

Location; NJ

Driving events; None with these tires.

Percentage of Highway/city driving; 60/40

These tires have only been mounted for a week, and barely have 500 miles on them. First, the Conti tires provide much quicker turn-in, and dry grip than I expected from any brand new tire. Very impressed. The Pirelli P Zero tires on my RX7 no doubt offer more dry grip, but not enough to drool over. The dry limits of the Conti tires place them in very fine company.

Tire noise is well tamed, and even on one of the worst highways in the country (Rt 22), the tires track very well, and don't lock into road surface 'features' at the expense of steering wheel input. They get full points in that area. Braking is strong, and as with the dry cornering limits of the tire, it is easily modulated at the ragged edge.

OK, so that makes it a very good all season high performance tire at a good price compared to others. What really prompted me to write the review was that it rained in NJ today. It started raining heavily at about 3:00 pm, and it is still raining now. I took the car out, and flogged on a variety of twisty mountain roads, one lane traffic circles, and the evil Rt 22 just to see how the tires performed in heavy rain.

Wow! What a revelation. The Conti rubber performed better in the very wet than the stock tires managed to do in the dry. Compared to the Pirelli tires on my RX7, the Conti Extreme Contact tires are head and shoulders at the top of the heap in raw wet perfomance. If they handle snow in a reasonable manner (I'll find out soon), they will become my top choice for a year round performance tire for some time to come.

I'll update my opinion of these tires as the miles add up, but my initial impression is that they are an all around winner for any high performance daily driver.

I don't know if it is taboo to mention this here, but Tire Rack shipped my mounted/balanced set of wheels and tires in perfect condition, and with all mounting hardware. It arrived the very next day from Delaware, even though it was shipped UPS ground. I ended up buying lots more stuff from them in the past week or so. Kudos to Tire Rack for great customer service.

Volk
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Volk; 10-11-2006 at 09:01 PM.
Volk is offline   Reply With Quote