View Single Post
Old 10-21-2006, 02:07 AM   #152
ripvw
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 27790
Chapter/Region: E. Canada

please answer these questions

#1.) what tire are you offering for review (please include size)
Michelin Pilot Sport 2 in 225/45x17 (pre-owned, with about 3/4 tread left)

#2.) what is your geographic location
Houston, Texas

#3.) what types of driving events if any (i.e. track, AutoX, RallyX)
none - just head out to the Hill Country near Austin every chance I get to ride the twisties

#4.) percent of highway vs. city driving
70-30

#5.) your review and personal comments
Just changed from Bridgestone RE070's. I'm missing the super-stiff sidewall of the RE070's but nothing else. These tires stick great both wet and dry - although they don't handle standing water as well as real rain tires like the FK451 and GSD3. Way better in the wet than the RE070's. Biggest differences between the two tires, other than the sidewall: the PS2 is 4 lbs. lighter, and that difference in unsprung weight allows the car to handle transients better. Hard to tell if the car really accelerates a little faster, but it certainly seems to have a bit more pickup from a dead stop. But the biggest difference is the noise, or lack thereof. The RE070's are unrelenting noisy on many road surfaces - though relatively quiet on extremely well paved roads. Around Houston with its sucko road surfaces, the difference in noise is extreme. The PS2's are the quietest summer tires I've ever owned, and their performance in tire tests, the Cannonball, and the fact that they are factory approved for every Porsche model except the Cayenne says a lot. I'm keeping these till they die...
Thanks for your participation
You're welcome as always.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ripvw is offline   Reply With Quote