View Single Post
Old 10-26-2006, 12:47 PM   #153
Aaron B
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 67924
Vehicle:
2003 #25/125 STX WRX
WRB

#1.) what tire are you offering for review (please include size)

Kumho ASX - 205/55R16

#2.) what is your geographic location

Midwest - NE Iowa

#3.) what types of driving events if any (i.e. track, AutoX, RallyX)

DD tires, used for one early season (COLD, coated asphalt) AutoX

#4.) percent of highway vs. city driving

~70% city/30% hwy

#5.) your review and personal comments

Mounted these up on a set of 16x7 wheels last fall, used through last winter and as my street tires all this year so far. Very good cold grip, excellent wet grip, and very good dry grip. Actually a very responsive and good performance tire for an all season option. I was quite surprised to see significantly less tire roll over with these vs. the 225/50 Kumho MX's I had mounted on the same rims last year.

I just recently put my stock wheels/RE92's back on the car to run for a while since there's still some useable tread left (although not snow worthy) and was amazed at the size difference between the two tires. Sitting side by side on the ground, the ASX's looked to be MUCH wider than the RE92s. Granted, they are mounted on half inch wider rims, but that shouldn't make as much of a difference as I noticed. Once I had the RE's on I decided to measure the width of the ASX's and found them to be a 219mm section width as mounted on a 7" rim!

Overall, I'd highly recommend the ASX's as a replacement A/S tire. At ~$60 a piece the price is VERY tough to beat for performance A/S, especially compared to the higher dollar RE92 (bleah!) that come stock and the equally expensive Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires that came stock on my wife's Mazda3. As soon as the time comes for new tires for the 3 I'll definitely be getting a set of ASX's for it as well.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Aaron B is offline   Reply With Quote