NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmcinder View Post
I have already posted links to the detailed primers that I have written on both differentials and limited-slip devices.
You have? Where did you post these links?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmcinder
Stop whining and do your homework.
Since when does our homework involve searching back through your old posts to find what you may or may not have said or posted links to in the past? Based on what you've said in this thread thus far I have no doubt you know what you're talking about, but that doesn't mean you should expect others to go searching out your previous posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmcinder
In contrast, modified clutch-packs (aka Salisburys) add clamping force on the plates as a function of input torque. This means that they are often already locked before either output starts slipping. It also means that they are often clamped solid when you have no wheel slip, which is a serious negative when powering out of a corner.

In contrast, because a clutch-pack is already locked when it needs to be (and doesn't snap open when you lift a wheel), it is a much better option in the rear (or anywhere in the system if all you do is drag-race). It takes less than a tenth of a second to snap-spin an AWD car. You can't afford a rear diff that is only going lock when a problem arises; you'll already be looking back at where you just were. You want the rear locked in advance. A little under-steer due to it being locked when no wheel slip is happening is a small (and affordable) price to pay.
So is a locked rear clutch pack a "serious negative", or is it a "small (and affordable" price to pay"?

I'm having a hard time visualizing what you mean when you mention that one can quickly snap spin an AWD car. Maybe it's just a matter of handling balance or my driving style, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've ever managed to spin my car in 6+ years of auto-xing, and 1/2 of those times were in the rain. Or are you referring to the snap spin as a result of lifting the inside wheel if one had a helical diff in the rear?

Pat
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote