Thread: Puddle lights
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
mbutkus
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 103713
Default Puddle lights

When my wife ordered her 2006 Tribeca last August (2005) we asked for the puddle lights. When the car was delivered it did not have them (but they added the nice factory floor rubber mats and rear trunk mat) and that broke the price even. The dealer said the lights were a factory option and there were none with the color/options we wanted unless we waited for a few months.
Oh well. Then a few weeks ago we waited at the dealer to have the liftgate struts replaced (a recall, but guess what - the new ones don't hold the back up either) and the tire pressure light was always on (they fixed it for 2 days - it's back on all the time again). I saw in their "parts" area dealer installed Puddle Lights ! Asking the wife she said to check it out. The dealer wanted almost $400 installed. Nice but no way... So on line I go and www.SubaruGenuineParts.com has them for $150. Took me about 2 hours to install them in 45 degree weather. Crummy B&W copy of the instructions but it shows you what you need to do. They are original Subaru parts, power hooks right up to a plug behind the well wheel (that's the hardest part of the install). Easy install but you need a sharp utility knife or something to cut out 4 small rectangles. Also two small sticky foam strips that replace ones on the body by the well wheel, the copy don't show that well. They prevent water from coming down the side of the body into the side molding. Comes with stainless steel screws and replacement side clips, NOT the well wheel clips that can easily break. Looks real NICE at night when you lock and unlock the car. . .and we're over 50 so it's not a kid thing. They help in finding your Tribeca against all the other Tribecas in the lot. Everything looks factory, no problems putting it back together. The fender clips are the problem. Need to turn in the wheel to get working room. No replacement clips and you need to hold the outside ring and turn the inside phillips screw to get them released. The plastic "screw" strips easily. Then with needle nose pliers pull them out. That's where I snapped a top edge. Otherwise
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
mbutkus is offline   Reply With Quote