Old 01-21-2007, 12:18 PM   #13
X-VWGLX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 16739
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2002 WRX, 2005 STI
silver

Question heat-related problems. 2piece aluminum?

Buttdyno wrote that stock brakes were used in racing applications:
"Ultimately he [Sheehan]and his team went with Stoptechs - not because they were seeing fade on that setup, but because the heat generated from it was causing unnecessary wear elsewhere. (And again... they were RACING... not doing track days, not autocrossing, and not doing "spirited driving".)"
I agree that stock brakes can be set up to work without fade, and eventually the excess heat will damage something else.
The first sign of damage to other components that I have seen from track events in my own 2002 WRX, and friends', has been piston dust boots melting and ripping. No feeling of fade while all this was happening, but the design of the stock brakes do not sweat off the heat very well.
***I have heard that a 2 piece with aluminum hats will not carry as much heat toward the hub. Is that true?***
Also my 2 cents on cross-drilled rotors for the 02 WRX is DONT BUT THEM. They sound like a good idea, degassing and all that stuff. I paid big bucks on some Brembo cross-drilled for my stock 02 WRX, and went to the track with nice Carbotch Panther pads and Toyo RA-1s. The Brembos did fine on the track, but cracked in the paddocks while cooling. The Cracks were so big you could hear it slapping the pad when the car rolled. I couldnt even drive the car until I replaced the rotors (luckily i brought some).
My solid rotors have always been dependable (all 4 sets), and only had to be replaced for minimum thickness reasons after many track days. Thankfully they are cheap. And it is easier to replace them at $70 for 8-10 track days versus $1500 for a big brake kit ( plus another $1500 for new 17"s to go over big brakes)
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by X-VWGLX; 01-21-2007 at 01:07 PM. Reason: spelling
X-VWGLX is offline   Reply With Quote