jpbpro
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 36155
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
03 WRX
Platinum on Gold

please answer these questions

#1.) what tire are you offering for review (please include size)
Kuhmo AST 215 45 17 (vs. ASX 225 45 17)

#2.) what is your geographic location
Texas

#3.) what types of driving events if any (i.e. track, AutoX, RallyX)
Street, Autox

#4.) percent of highway vs. city driving
50 city / 50 highway

#5.) your review and personal comments
I got the asts because I had a flat in the asxs that wasn't fixable. I needed tires right then and there, and the asts were all they had. I liked the asxs and would have bought more because they handled well and lasted forever. When I switched from the asxs to the asts, I also went from 225s to 215s. The narrower tire seems to provide a little better feedback, feels better on turn in, but has less overall grip. At least on 7" rims. Maybe someone with more tire knowledge can comment on how tire width affects handling. It just seems to me that the wider higher performance tire doesn't feel as good as the cheaper narrower one on the same rims. I suppose that if I had the same size of each tire, I'd probably prefer the asxs. But, I'd probably go with 215s on a 7" rim.
Both tires have been outstanding in the the rain and cold. Like I said, the asxs lasted forever, ~50k, and I expect the asts to last about the same. The asts look a little better, but not as wide. They're a little quieter. I think they're a little cheaper than the asxs too.
Neither of these tires would come close to performing like an re70 in the dry though. They're good, but they're still all seasons.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
jpbpro is offline   Reply With Quote