X-VWGLX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 16739
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2002 WRX, 2005 STI
silver

Unhappy Falken Ziex 512

1) Falken Ziex 512 225/45- Z17 (for STI)
2) Southeast
3) Driving events on Ziex 512's? Are you kidding? 100% street.
4) 50/50 hwy/city
5) Review: My story of how I got these is kinda backwards. I bought a used STI with almost new Falken Ziex 512's. The grip is less than the Khumo MX's I had on the WRX which I traded i for the STI. So less grip in a 300hp car = ass-happy machine. A week after buying the car I aquired a used set of RE 070s, and the STi became a twitchy, hard riding race car (like I would have expected). So keep in mind the 512's have a lot of tread, and the 070s have almost no tread, which automatically makes them act more like a racing tire. In retrospect the Ziex 512's are exactly what I would expect of a tire with treadwear 360 = softer, smoother than the RE070, much less grip, and slower response. The fakens do make a lot of grindy sounds when turning hard, probably those deep tread blocks flexing. Dry and wet traction is above average. Ziex 512s look good, and are fine for driving around on streets and highways, but they just dont let all the great suspension components and horsepower of the STi do what it is designed to do - go fast. It is like putting hiking boots on a marathon runner. You can keep these Falkens for the minivan.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
X-VWGLX is offline   Reply With Quote