Old 08-02-2007, 11:45 PM   #7
williaty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 71092
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

There's a thread on here from me being utterly confused by the fact that the Whiteline pdf, the Ingalls web instructions, and the Ingalls printed instructions all disagree with each other. And it was 4am, but I digress.

After Fred and Arnie beating on my head for a while, I finally get it.

First, lets get some terminology straight here. The washer has a "handle" that sticks up at a 45 degree angle and is pretty large. The washer also has a "tab" that sticks out at a 90 degree angle and is fairly small.

OK, so you decide which way you want to push the knuckle. I presume you want to add negative camber. To add negative camber, you want to push the top of the knuckle in and the bottom of the knuckle out (reverse this if you want more positive camber).

The bolt pushes in the direction the handle on the washer points. That's VERY important to understand. Point the handle on the washer towards the engine, and you push in. Point the handle towards the tire to push the knuckle outwards. The handle should be parallel to the ground (horizontal).

The bolt has an arrow on the head. When the arrow on the bolt points away from the handle on the washer, there's no camber change at all, it just acts like a normal bolt. When the arrow on the bolt points towards the handle on the washer, you get maximum camber change. This is VERY important to understand. Arrow opposite handle, no camber. Arrow at handle, most camber.

Finally, the tab on the washer MUST be seated correctly. If you point the arrow on the head of the bolt opposite the handle on the washer, there will be this nice little void for the tab on the washer to slip down into. The tab actually fits between the shaft of the bolt and the strut.

OK, so putting that all together, here's a set of instructions:

1) Put the washer on the bolt with the tab facing away from the head of the bolt and the handle tipping up in the same direction as the head
2) Slide the bolt through the strut and knuckle until it's almost all the way in
3) Point the handle on the washer in the direction you want to move the knuckle
4) Point the arrow on the bolt away from the handle on the washer
5) Make sure the tab on the washer is safely snuggled between the shaft of the bolt and the strut allowing the washer to set flat against the strut
6) Push the bolt the last little bit in, pinning the washer between the strut and the bolt
7) Verify the tab is still correctly seated
8) Put the nut on the other side and tighten it to the point it's snug but not tight
9) Use a wrench to spin the bolt so the arrow points directly at the handle DO NOT LET THE HANDLE MOVE OR THE TAB COME UNSEATED
10) Tighten to spec
11) Drive and enjoy!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
williaty is offline   Reply With Quote