Old 09-13-2007, 04:29 PM   #12
03SuBbYWrX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 122785
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX- ej257 swap
w/ TD06H 20g 8cm

ok guys thanks a lot. i def was gonna get sti cams so i bought a set for 300 from my shop and they are gonna mod the cams to disable the AVCS. for 300 bucks now i talked to my tuner and he said the same thing all of u are saying. the power def drops after about 5800 and ill be unhappy with leaving the stock cams in. so i went ahead and spend 300 plus an hours worth of labor to disable the AVCS on the intake cams. do any of you have a similar setup then me? how much power and torque do you make? thanks for all the help. Ive gonna through so many problems lately. with the trans shattering to not being able to get my turbo tuned for 3 weeks due to a whole bunch of leaks, to melting the piston.

nate02
I had the same kind of problem with my stock 2.0L engine about 18 months ago. I decided to do the ej257 swap as well, keeping the stock heads, and the stock turbo. After a bit of searching around, I found the general opinion was my car would pull real hard down low, but fall flat on its face at about 5300 rpms. This is because the 2.5L block flows more air then the stock heads can handle. There were three solutions to fix this. First i could do the AVACS heads as well. This was to pricey for me. Second was head work on my stock heads, which was a bit expensive also. The third option was to get cams that would increase the lift of the valves to let more air in and out of the heads. STI cams weren't too expensive or aggressive, and i could get them at my local dealership. It worked out well enough. You just have to have your mechanic tap and plug the holes in the cams used for AVACS.

I dyno at 226whp/248wtq and my car pulls hard all the way to redline.

Hope this helps.

did they ever figure out the cause of why it did this. i suspect that it was a failure with that fuel injector going into the #3 head or something along the lines of something to due with failure in just that one cylinder.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
03SuBbYWrX is offline   Reply With Quote