Originally Posted by xxxjuhstenxxx
I am getting some new wheels they are gonna be rotas (not sure what model yet) and I have decided on either 18x7.5 or 18x8, What offset should I run? I know that a wider tire gives you more surface area and that equals more grip, what I was wondering is should I go 245's in rear? How wide can I go on a 7.5" wheel? What size tires should I go in front? The same? Thanks.
Wider is better for traction on smooth paved surfaces, but there is always a trade-off.
1. Your fuel economy will drop.
2. Your car is more likely to tramline (makes nice leisurely drives rather stressful)
3. It will be harder to maneuver at low speeds.
4. On gravel, snow or even rough pavement you are more likely to roll over the loose surface material rather than dig down into the firm stuff (i.e. don't plan on driving fast on gravel roads).
5. Your unsprung weight will increase.
If you can live with these trade-offs then wider tires are a good way to go.