11-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Jersey
05 CGM 2.5 RS
07 Triumph Tiger 1050
Originally Posted by el_guapo
OK, I have painted wheels on a few trucks before, and have wanted to do it for my bugeye wheels for a year or so now. Last weekend I finally committed the time and did it. This is how I did it:
Went to Autozone picked up supplies:
2 cans Dupli-Color Graphite = $12
1 can Dupli-Color Clear= $6
1 pack 250 grit sandpaper = $2
Small wire brush = $2
Total Cost = $25
Then I went home and started:
1. Pulled wheels, cleaned with soap and water, let dry.
2. Sanded wheels lightly, just enough to scuff the wheels up.
3. Used wire brush for stubborn grease and places I couldn't sand good.
4. Cleaned wheels again with soap and water, let dry.
5. Masked off tires with index cards.
6. Painted with 3 coats of the Graphite, coats 10 minutes apart.
7. Painted with 2 coats of Clear, also 10 minutes apart.
8. Let the wheels dry inside for 24 hours, bolted them back on next day.
The whole process took about 6 hours. I must say I am very happy with the results so far. Time will tell how durable they are but either way can't go wrong for $25:
I like that color alot on CGM...I think i'm gunna do my stocker winter rims the same..hope mine come out at as good as yours