Old 05-28-2002, 09:06 PM   #6
RallyKnight
Knight Motorsports, Inc

Member#: 1826
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
1996 2dr Impreza L
Black

The transmissions that we use are not Prodrive units in anyway. We designed them using the stock 4EAT in the 98 model. We are currently building the 99 and up 4EAT. The price for a fully prepped rally gearbox with full manual control to include center differential is $6500.00. Shifter and cooler are supplied. Electronics for the trans is also supplied and the electronic shifter is an option.(this is currently against the ProRally rules at the moment.)
They handle the torque and horsepower of the 2.5 engine rather well, but we did have one failure of the trans last year at LSPR with a cooler line getting pinched and it fried the rear bearing. Nice feature of the box is that it goes into limp mode and I transited the 40 miles back to town.
Other than that failure we get 5-6 full rallies on one gearbox before it is toredown for inspection and a $1400 rebuild. If you completely lunch the box it is $2400-3000 rebuild. Still compared to the options I will take the Manu-Matic style gearbox. How it will perform behind a standard 2.0 ltr is a bit overkill. Fluid trans and torque converters like torque. The 2.0 ltr simply cannot out perform the 2.5 in this catergory. Any questions feel free to mail me.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
RallyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote