View Single Post
Old 12-05-2007, 03:56 AM   #57
kutyafal
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 165779

Yeah, driving in Switzerland (and most of Europe) is a very different affair compared to the US. I lived on the East Coast and with the distances and long expenses of highways being what they are I felt you need a car with more room for a Lazy Boy inside for the 7 hrs of sitting-in-place exercise. About the only driving fun I ever had was the occasional patch of black ice and some gravel forest roads. Comfort and low noise is paramount for the long trips.

On the other hand, here in Switzerland you can forget about letting it loose on the highways (that's what nearby Germany is for) unless you want to take a break from driving for a few months. They'll take your license away for speeds 20 miles over the speed limit! But where I live (near Geneva) I have the most amazing mountain switchbacks near me within a 10-30 minutes drive with very little traffic and no traffic cameras. However the occasional cow lurking just around the corner can be quiet detrimental to your rally aspirations...

With traffic being nowhere near as bad as on the East Coast driving a manual transmission is actually viable and I had tons of fun even in an 80 HP VW Polo because of it's nimble handling. I gotta find the way to test the Subie on the same roads but I hope 150 HP should be fun enough to do the same. I see that in the US it's 170 HP from the 2.5L so I wonder how that feels over there?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
kutyafal is offline   Reply With Quote