Scooby Newbie

Member#: 161548
Vehicle:
08 OBS
silver/silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssubie08 View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Ok fellas. I spent about 30 mins in an empty parking lot narrowing down the circumstances, so here you go:
1. Here's the kicker: It will only make the clunk--If I park the car and shut the engine off--restart the engine--and pull forward.
2. It will make the clunk after I get moving, but before 5mph.
3. It will make the clunk backing up first OR just pulling off straight ahead.

If I just stop the car AND DO NOT shut the car completely off and restart it, it does not make the clunk. The longer the car is off--getting colder--the louder the clunk is. It almost sounds like the ABS or brake booster going through a cycle once the car gets to a certain speed. I called the Subaru tech and he told me he had never heard anything like that before..So crap, I will have to get an appointment. The only thing is, if I go through those steps: shutting the car off, restarting it, and then pull off getting to 1-5mph I can duplicate the clunk everytime.
My 08 OBS does the same thing. I figure it's this:

(Directly from 08 owners manual P.7-28)
"When driving off immediately after starting the engine, a short lived operation noise (I suppose that could be a clunk?) may be noticed coming from the engine compartment. This noise is generated as a result of a check being performed on the Vehicle Dynamics Control system and is normal."

There are several other normal "clunks or noises" described in the manual as well in the "Starting and Operating" chapter (mostly relating to the ABS and VDC systems self-check cycles).
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
triails is offline   Reply With Quote