Scooby Guru

Member#: 36033
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
CEO PhatBottiTuning
2006 STi GTX3582 + Meth

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageblitz View Post
I've got enginuity and ecuflash running on my laptop and its hooked up to my subaru 03 wrx. I know I need to start data logging as my first step to tuning. But what next?

Could anyone give me some pointers/links/resources on further information especially those that gives good guidance on tuning methodologies?
Go to the cobb forums and download the Street tuner manual. It goes through step by step on what to tune in what order.....there is also Excel spreadsheets with lots of data and formulas to help you out.

http://forums.cobbtuning.com/forums/...ad.php?t=31091

And get airboys spreadsheet to make analyzing the data easier..its called log file interpolation

http://www.ken-gilbert.com/wrx/enginuity/

Basically the process goes (BEFORE READING THIS REALIZE I AM NOT A TUNER & IM JUST REPEATING MOST OF THIS FROM THE COBB MANUAL OR FROM MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE)(PS: NEITHER MY 16G'd WRX OR MY Green'd STI HAS BLOWN UP YET )

I assume you already have ECUFLASH to be able to read/write your ROM. I like ECUFLASH's interpolate functions. If you want to taper your boost linearly from peak to redline all you have to do is enter in 20psi @ say 3000rpm then 12 psi at 7000rpm then you highlight all the cells from the 20 down to the 12 and go to edit, interpolate vertically and it will interoplate linearly between 20 and 12 and fill in all the cells for you. It also has interpolate horizontally. Both of these funtions are great to make nice smooth timing maps. There are of course keyboard functions for these but i dont remember them off the top of the dome.

1) dial in boost ( Turbo Dynamics and boost control explained by Tea Cups )
to do this you should
- reduce your timing (by adding boost you will increase the engine load and be in different cells than before)(i took out 5-10* on my whole map)
- decrease your AFR (add fuel)(yours is probably fine if its a stock fuel map, its probably already ~9.5-10:1)(i left the stock values in mine when i started turning up the boost)
- increase your boost by changing the target boost and wsgtdc tables (for reference i had my td04 peaking at 20psi and tapering to ~12 at redline)
- use the turbo dynamics to "fine tune" the boost. the turbo dynamics may seem backwards to you. A postive boost error value means you are underboosting (boost error = Target boost - actual boost) and negative value means overboost.
- its best to try and tune boost in colder weather, since it will creat the greatest boost spike, then you know when its hotter you will always be under that.
- i believe most people will run the td04's peaking at 17-18psi on pump gas and then taper to 12-14 at redline.
- you can increase it till you start knocking then back it down or just throw in 18psi as your target boost and dial in the wsgt dc to get you there

2) dial in timing
- start adding in timing
- you can do this several ways. either keep your base map the way it is and add all your timing to the advance map, leave your advance map as it was stock and add all timing to the base map, make your advance map one value across the board and only change your base map. people have different views on the different methods. no matter which you choose varying one map is easier than housekeeping both of them. there is an excel sheet on the cobb site that you can copy/paste your base/advance values in and it adds them together and shows you your total timing. Or you can just setup Airboy's spreadsheet to do this also.
- when tuning timing remember that if your IAM isnt set to 16 you wont be using all of your advance map.
- when you start knocking back it off a little (i dont know how much a little is)(on my car once i started knocking i pulled 2*, i dont know how much power i lost from that or if that is even a good enough safety margin, but its what i went with)
- - if you use airboys spreadsheet and the timing interpolate tab it will plot your load and timing on the same graph......from my experience your timing should be a mirror image of your load.....low load = high timing high load = low timing. For reference my 02 WRX is running somewhere between 45-55* at low load, 12-15* in the midrange, then tapering up to 30* at redline.....this is total timing

3) dial in fuel (!! YOU SHOULD NOT DO THIS WITHOUT A WIDEBAND !!)
- from looking at other peoples maps (cobb AP maps and enginuity maps) i set mine to 11:1 in the appropriate cells.
- some tuners have expressed that they havent seen significant gains in going from AFR of 11:1 up to 12.5:1, while other tuners tune all their cars to 12:1. Without a wideband i wouldnt venture above 11:1.

As long as your EGT's stay below 1800* F (not sure if they can go higher, but my 16G wrx goes a little over 1700* and when i had my td04 i was ~1600*), your AFR is ~11:1, and you arent knocking you should be good to go.

What is your setup anyhow?

Like gabedude pointed out, if you register on http://osecuroms.org/ you should be able to find a map for your exact setup. I didnt do this though because i wanted to go through the process myself and see/feel what my changes were doing.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Phatron; 02-06-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Phatron is offline   Reply With Quote