Originally Posted by amukaoen
Does anyone know if you do a 2005-2006 STi steering wheel swap with the airbag working if you carry over the 04 WRX cruise control as in the tutorial? anyone done this before? thanks.
I just installed an 06 STI steering wheel in my 04 WRX sedan. It came with the 06 STI clock spring / roll connector as well (which I used). I never swapped or hack any cruise control arms or wires. I am using the 06 STI CC control arm.
I followed many of the posts on here and other forums. Essentially, this is what I did:
- Unhooked the negative terminal on the battery
- Removed airbag from 04 WRX wheel
- Unclipped wires and unbolted 04 WRX wheel
- Left bolt partially on and used the yank-method to remove wheel
- Removed 04 WRX clock spring (what a pain!)
- Installed 06 STI clock spring (even bigger pain)
- Installed 06 STI wheel and reconnected wires
- Retorqued wheel and attached airbag
- Reconnect negative terminal to battery
Everything went pretty smooth. The main issue I had was that only two bolt holes on the 06 STI clock spring / roll connector would line up to the 04 WRX turn signal / wiper stalks. Seems to be holding and working fine even though. I get an occasional buzz or rattle from it once in awhile over bumpy roads. Once I figure out how to secure it it should be fine (either that or get 05+ stalks.) And getting the clock spring wires fished through was a challenge.
I am very happy that the cruise control and airbag connectors are the same and are plug-n-play. The difference is that the 06 STI connector has two extra pins to turn the cruise control ON/OFF from the arm. The 04 WRX is missing those since there is a button on the dash to control that function. I tested everything out and it functions the same as the stock WRX cruise control arm does.
Hopefully this is helpful to other looking for this same info...