Scooby Newbie

Member#: 159495
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
WRBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabomber View Post
Your owner's manual called...it wants you to open and read it. Power mods have zippo to do with what you can and can't tow, it's more of chassis design, driveline, and brakes.
My original post also called....it would like you to reread it. Reading the owners manual tells me zippo about what I was interested in finding out. I didn't ask "can I tow a trailer with my wrx?" or "I wonder what subaru rates the car as being able to handle for maximum towing capacity"? I said that I would like to tow a trailer and I simply asked if anyone had any experience towing a similar setup and what their impressions were of how the car handled it. I was more interested in what to expect than can it be done. As far as power mods go, I realize on this car that the engine is not going to ultimately be the limiting factor in what it can or cant tow. As mentioned, chassis design, suspension, brakes etc. will become a problem before engine power. I listed my cars current state of tune because it absolutely does impact the towing experience even though it may not increase the maximum capacity. While maybe not terribly noticeable, a car that makes more torque and at a lower, more usable for towing, rpm range will be different to tow with than a completely stock car. Similarly a car with upgraded suspension components likely wont sag or bounce as bad as my worn out stock suspension. I didn't say my car is mad fast and can tow a 50' triple axle race trailer because I gotz a tight downpipe yo. I gave information that I believed to be relative and in doing so desired to gain the input of others with a similar setup.

I just think it's funny that anytime someone asks for advice or opinions they get jumped on to read the stickies or use the search button. I understand getting frustrated when the same question comes up repeatedly, but seriously thats the point of a discussion forum. Sharing experiences and ideas and learning from others.

That said, thank you everyone for the help. Hearing people tell what they have towed, what type of fuel mileage they got, potential accelerated wear items, etc. is EXACTLY what I was trying to obtain by starting this thread in the first place.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
HankWest is offline   Reply With Quote