View Single Post
Old 07-09-2002, 02:55 AM   #18
Bigmike
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 18971
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan 5M
WRB

It might be the stock ECU's retarded timing but then again, how is this explained:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...highlight=safc

running on the stock ECU. Seems awfully fast for a car that would be having timing issues.

I really am beginning to wonder if there isn't something else going on when WRX's are run on Dyno's. For example, at the BAIC dyno day at ATP, many of the cars (1/2 of those tested?) were pinging at high rpm's. So far, I've seen the following reasons (suggestions by others including Shiv) behind this:
1. No direct air was supplied to the top mount ic's.
2. it was damn hot in that ATP garage.

Also want to point out that normally on small displacement engines it is much easier to increase HP than torque. Basically, your (andy - BADWRX) spread of 258 HP to 228 ft/lbs doesn't seem that wacky to me.

I'm kinda all over the place in this post...really want I'm driving at is a desire to stick with the stock ECU and tune the engine using external controllers like Boost Controllers and AFC's. Why? Because even though I have a laptop (provided by work), I have the following issues:
1. Don't want to carry the laptop in the car for tuning.
2. Way too many parameters to mess with when using a laptop in my opinion.
3. I like the safety that the stock ECU provides by pulling timing etc.. when things are going wrong.
4. I simply don't trust replacement computers...I understand what an boost controller is doing at all times...I can understand what AFC is doing at all times.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Bigmike is offline   Reply With Quote