Old 07-09-2002, 03:49 PM   #16
traskw
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 9604
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2005 LGT '94SS MR2
AtlanticBlue, Red, Silver

On lowering springs I think it is more of a personal preference. These cars already have a pretty low center of gravity due to the engine and drivetrain arrangement. Lowering the vehicle 1 will not improve the cornering ability anywhere near as much as stiffer springs and sway bars will. Those that swear by them (lowering springs) usually do not have experience with anything other than the stock springs, which are fairly soft. On my 92 I can raise or lower it anywhere from +2 2, it does not handle any better at 1 or 2 than it does at 0 to +2, the stiff springs are what makes the difference and keep the car from rolling much in the corners. For my 01 I will not be using stiffer springs, but will use the stiffest sway bars I can find and even when I add coil-overs I will only be using 180lb springs. My vision is a Sports Sedan with a balanced suspension, not a rock hard one. I plan on a WRX as the next project and since I will be keeping my 01 as a daily driver, I can go a little more radical on the suspension.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
traskw is offline   Reply With Quote