Old 05-12-2008, 02:26 AM   #22
Handsdown
Scooby Guru

Member#: 29355
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2003 GD6 Hate chall
but i'mma maintain

they are HIDs that have been rebased for your H7 projector optics. basically you have a square peg in a round hole... a D2s HID bulb that has been glued or fitted into an H7 halogen bulb's base. this approximates the light source geometry, but because of differences in the optic characteristics there will always be an unfocused beam projected, with hotspotting usually in the middle or foreground and a sometimes dangerously large increase in glare above cutoff.

read more here:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
(or just look at this pretty screen cap

because of the projector design, they probably don't glare *as much as* some other HID kits in other optics... but those are definitely not D2s connectors so i'm pretty sure the previous owner put HID bulbs in the stock H7 halogen projectors.

you could probably handle the retrofit though the soldering and crimping skills are not what are difficult, it's the dremel and measuring skills that it takes to make brackets for HID projectors in place of the H7 halogen projectors in there now. I have a set of TSX hid d2s projectors that i'm getting ready to retrofit into my own halogen projector lights, but i've promised myself to keep my halogen projectors halogen bulb'd until then.

honestly you'll have significantly better results if you save up for a retro, and you forego the risk of damaging the wiring(further) if you use H7 bulbs that the wiring was designed for. I just think that's a better route to go, but if not you can always buy another rebased kit and a relay harness to make sure the wiring doesn't get further damage.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Handsdown; 05-12-2008 at 02:35 AM.
Handsdown is offline   Reply With Quote