Sorry for neglecting some important points.
The car: 2003 Impreza OBS, just the naturally aspirated little guy.
Previous electrical mods... none... well, disconnect of 'press clutch to start', and the 'key is in the ignition' chime. Both were done by either continual connect or disconnect (respectively).
I have verified that I am using the right wires (have all the service manuals and respective wiring diagrams).
I suspect that there is a short in the RG connector somewhere caused by the snag.
The marker lights I refer to are the ones outside. Lights inside work but console (speedo) lights go away when the fuse is blown.
I don't have time to dive into it until Thursday, but if I can't figure out what is causing that behavior (and by 'what', i mean, conceptually... what wire is shorted and what it's shorted to) the I'll be ripping my dash apart to find if something is unplugged in the wiring abyss there somewhere.