GentlemenStylez
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 146626
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2001 Impreza GC8
Panda on rails!

Default Anti-Lift Kit (ALK): How to install

Well, I finally decided to upload my install pictures so that it may help others. This is how I did it. You can do it whatever way you feel is better for you. But if you do it my way, you are merely using it as a guide and nothing else. I am in no way responsible for any damage or injury as a result of poor practice or accidents.

Let's begin (Note: I'm doing both sides simultaneously)...

Firstly, you need to get yourself a set! Comes with 2 ALKs, grease, 2 new nuts, and 2 new washers.

Secondly, get your tools ready and mount the car up properly with jack stands to prevent the car falling down on you. Get as much clearance as you sanely can as you'll need a lot of room to work with.

Most importantly, you'll require a breaker bar; this is mine.

First go at it... I destroyed my adapter. Didn't think the bolts were this tough to break free.

So DO NOT use a 3/8 in. drive to break or torque.

Break loose the bolts first, and then the nut. Don't remove any fasteners until all of them are loosened. I broke loose the nut with 2 wrenches coupled together for extra leverage. After fasteners have been removed, you can pull (or pry) the control arm downward to remove the original mount. If you pry, never pry on a mating surface!

The two mounts side by side for comparison. The sticker says exactly what it means (in reference to their installation positions).

Lube the bushing. And THOROUGHLY clean the area to which it will be installed on your car. You don't want parts to wear prematurely!

The next part will be frustrating; but there IS a way. You have to get the new mount into place without damaging things too much (including yourself) and get it past the tranny crossmember.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by GentlemenStylez; 04-28-2010 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Fixed new URL to photos.
GentlemenStylez is offline   Reply With Quote