Scooby Guru

Member#: 442
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Crosstrek XV
00 Honda S2000

Quote:
Originally posted by rkkwan
One of the more frequent question I received after moving here is: "So what bridge do you take to get to RI."

BTW, the real name of the state is "Rhode Island and Providence Plantation".

And Prince Edward Island is an actual island. [It's a real Canadian province too.] But Vancouver is not on Vancouver Island.

-Ray
The Entire name is: The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. There were more than one plantation. (trivia answer: This name is the state with the most amount of letters in its' name as it has 44 letters)

About the name: Way back when, theah was a dood that was booted owt of Massachusetts names Rogah Williams.

Upon his travels, he came across an island. It was soo beautiful, it reminded him of the Isle of Rhodes in Italy. That island was given a name: Rhode Island, taking on the moniker of it's namesake.

The capital of Rhode Island was: New Port. Which was simplified later to Newport. Newport RI is and was a pretty famous port and it's industry at the time was ship building. The Narragansett Bay (named after the Narragansett Indians) opened right into the ocean and other than Boston and New York, was a major point of Commerce for the North East.

After sometime, the state was enlarged to what exists now and what was once Rhode Island was re-named to "Aquidneck Island."

At the top of the Narragansett bay, there was a plantation called 'Providence'. Since the upper part of the bay could be easily defended against attacking vessels, the decreed Providence Plantation would be the new capital and moved from Newport to Providence.

In a quick summary: The name really WAS of an Island, Rhode Island, which is now called 'Aquidneck Island". (Of which I am comfortably sitting with my butt firmly in a chair on this Island as I type.)

--kC
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
KC is offline   Reply With Quote