Originally Posted by StiPend
I am also having trouble programming my '06 WRX. It should be the same system as yours.
The manual is not written accurately. For example it says "If an error occurs six times" when they should have written "If a beep occurs six times."
I also am wearing out the lock-unlock button trying to find the combination.
If there is someone who works for Subaru and can write key fob programming instructions in good English please post!
Basically, from what I read, what you have to do is first obtain the code(s) for the remotes. They can be found either on the bag that the remotes came with or inside the remote on the circuit board. It is an 8 digit number.
1. Get in the car and shut the door
2. Turn the key to the ON position 10 times within 15 seconds, you should hear a beep (again, you will not hear this beep if the alarm is in valet mode)
3. Open and close the drivers side door. The alarm will start sounding and will go off for approx 30 seconds.
4. BEFORE the alarm stops sounding, press the lock button the same number of times as the first digit of the number for the remote (For example, if the number of the remote is 64521256, press the lock button 6 times.)
5. Then press unlock on the door lock switch (this tells the system you are entering the next number)
6. Repeat step 4 for the second digit.
7. Press unlock on the door switch
8. Continue doing steps 4 and 5 until all 8 numbers are done.
9. After you have entered the last digit, the alarm will sound again for approx 30 seconds.
10. Enter the entire number again, following the steps above, starting with step # 4
11. As long as the second code entered is the same as the first one, the doors will lock and unlock by themselves.
12. ** If you have additional remotes, repeat steps 4 thru 10
13. When finished programming all remotes, remove key from ignition and test remotes.
Again, if this gets you too frustrated, take the remote to a dealer.