Scooby Newbie

Member#: 37519
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2004 STi JBP/Gold
Helix DP, SMC, Cobb AP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhargis View Post
At stock torque (230ft. lbs continuous load) with 3rd gear engaged, I measured a peak dimensional change of .003" at one spot of the case in relation to the bellhousing. That doesn't sound like much, but the 5mt's gear lash spec is .006" with a tolerance of +/-.001". What this means is that the gears are potentially moving beyond their recommended clearance range even at stock power,
I'm glad you said "potentially", otherwise your conclusion would not be logically sound.

To eliminate uncertainty you would first have to determine how much the measured deflection actually translates into additional clearance, since the two are almost certainly not directly proportional. Assuming it does, you would then have to establish that Subaru did not take that additional clearance into account when specifying the gear lash.

From a purely academic standpoint your results are interesting. I wonder what this looks like for the 6MT, which is considered by many to be bulletproof. You wouldn't happen to have one of those lying around?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
STI_FFY is offline   Reply With Quote