View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 10:56 PM   #16
Mechie3
Scooby Guru

Member#: 120152
Chapter/Region: MWSOC

^^ No. Yes, they technically attach in 3 places, but it's a single mounting point, the top of the strut tower. The biggest part is that it is a single member that (simplified stick drawings) goes from point A to point B. Almost every bar I've ever seen uses a plate or other feature to attach to the strut towers (can't recall any that don't honestly).

The cusco mount, in stick figure form, has multiple members and mulitiple dispersed mounting points that can't be simplified into a single point for arguments sake. There are also X braces and triangulated braces that, while they may use a plate as the base for mounting, have multiple members and multiple dispersed mounting points.

Here are some pics to help you out. Top left, illegal, top right, legal, lower right, illegal. I also drew a diagram of the cusco type II. As shown in black (standard configuration) it's illegal. The blue setup (if you cut it and kept only that portion) is legal and is essentially the cusco type 1. The purple configuration is also legal (though not very functional for your purposes) as it connects lower left suspension mounting point to the lower right. The green bit (IMO) is also legal (if you use it without either center portions) as it falls under the fore/aft subframe connecter that can connect in 3 places max front to back and not side to side. You cannot combined the blue, purple, or green portions as if you do this, it becomes illegal.

There are a ton more things you can do to your car and even more things you can do for your driving skills. I don't have this bar, never did, and still beat most of the cars in the regions I compete in in raw times, and have places first in pax several times. This bar can't and won't make or break your times or driving experience.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Mechie3 is offline   Reply With Quote