View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 01:22 PM   #287
Frank A
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 49979
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD, US
Vehicle:
11 dgm wrx hatch
08 black TA STI

Default

Ok. Installed mine and took some more pictures. I tried to line the three joints up in a vise to keep the height of the part where the cone rests the same. From this picture, I think the new ball joint does have the same offset as the old one. Note that there is a slight angle on the new joint, but I tried to minimize it so as not to throw off the visuals:

L-to-R: stock, new WL, old WL:


apologize for the crummy shot, but here's an attempt to show the change in width of the upper surface:


Some observations- joints fit maybe a hair tighter in the hole. Prior to installation, they were definitely stiffer than the old ones- I had to use leverage to get them to move. Moving the metal shoulder down gives the boot more room. For whatever reason, I'm getting a clank on the right side coming off drop-offs that I am still investigating- too soon to tell if its from the joint or something I did at the last track event. The BJ that was loose before was on the left side (it is also the one in the photos, so you can see the dirt on the shoulder area).

Edit: the clunk was a loose strut top nut on my Cusco camber plate. My bad for not tightening them enough originally. The cusco plate's stack height is so tall that I can't access the flat spots on the KW's rod without using a pair of needle nose pliers. I think its tight enough now, but we'll see.

Frank
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Frank A; 11-26-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Frank A is offline   Reply With Quote