subysouth
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5039
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2007 Outback XT
Grey 5-speed

Default well

I agree. I think I said that the 290x10mm rear discs are for all 2000+ Legacys not just the H6. Other people have used this term either out of confusion or for simplicity's sake, I was trying to clear that up. It is not an H6 exclusive rotor.

I was also trying to descibe the caliper changeover issue. If you already have a 2000+ Legacy with rear discs, yes this upgrade is a moot point. However a lot of other Subie people cruise this forum and their 2000+ Subarus would fall into this category. And unfortunately that is the first year I can definitively say that the calipers were the new style(I know youre thinking-duh.) I have my own ideas I would risk trying to equip my car but I don't like to give out info unless I'm certain.

My opinions: I am 95% certain the new calipers were on the 99 model Subarus. My guess at this point is that 98 was the last year of the old style caliper bracket. Unfortunately I gander a great deal of my Subaru brake info from overseas and there is ~ a one year lag in US Subaru models and overseas models. So a lot of my info doesnt help. If any of you 98 or 99 guys want to help track the info down, snap a pic of your rear caliper and post it please.

Further, as I said it may be possible for all 1990+ subies with solid rear rotors to use the larger caliper brackets and rotors from the 2000+ Legacys. It is unclear if the bolt spacing, position, etc. on the "new" calipers is different from the old single pot caliper. I fully intend to verify this(one way or the other) in the next few weeks by the trial and error method, unless someone beats me to it. In which case, I hope they post the results.

subysouth

edit: 97 definitely has the older bracket. 98 and 99 guys if you post a pic please include the month as well as the year of build. Thanks.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by subysouth; 08-25-2002 at 06:55 PM.
subysouth is offline   Reply With Quote