Scooby Guru

Member#: 78952
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
CGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerculesPeanut View Post
I have to disagree with that. It's not about need on the street, who needs the cars we drive, it's about feelings and excitement. Weight reduction has the greatest impact on acceleration and removing it from rotational mass has the greatest impact. If you reduce the weight enough, you will feel it off the line.

I'm inclined to agree that 2lbs per corner will not make a big difference. I am pretty sure 6lbs per corner will. Perhaps that's the minimum. Perhaps not. I don't know. In all likelihood I will be buying different and heavier tires in a couple of months that will eat most of my weight savings (4 of 6). Perhaps I'll have a better idea then.

Oh, one more thing. Reducing the weight from the outside makes a bigger difference than removing it from the inside. So, lighter tires will have a greater impact on acceleration than lighter wheels. Conversely, going from a fairly lightweight 16" wheel and tire to a heavier 18" wheel is bad. Adding a much heavier 18" wheel is worse and the two combined will almost certainly impact even the most numb of bottoms not to mention drag strip times and braking measurements (though a higher quality tire could counter that).

My 2. No change required.
Dude, you could have a car with wheels weighing 6 lbs a corner difference and swap them back to back and I seriously doubt you'd ever be able to tell which set you had on. On a track it's going to equal out maybe a couple of tenths a lap, so you're not going to notice that difference in a street application.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Daishi00 is offline   Reply With Quote