View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #798
Dusty Whiskers
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 201851

Hello all, I'm new to the forums here and was pretty set on getting an 09 WRX for my new car until I saw this thread and a few others similar to it. I'm familiar with the modification and maintenance of turbo cars, and am personally coming from a 3000gt here.

But back on topic, after learning of the new WRX engine issues I queried several dealers about the failures. Most of them had no idea about any sort of engine failures, however one dealer was keen to admit that there had been a problem, and in fact admitted one 09 wrx owner they had sold to had had his car in for an engine replacement. According to the sales rep I spoke with, the engine failures are due to a manufacturing defect that has only affected certain earlier VIN's so far. He wasn't extremely specific about the exact nature of the failures, but did say it had to do with a manufacturing defect that basically resulted in a certain number of engines which had internal contaminants sealed inside the engine inappropriately upon the time of manufacture, which down the road after a couple thousand miles obviously lead to in the failures.

Now I can't say for certain that what he told me was 100% true, however this is the first I have heard anything coming from a dealer that seems to match what people have discovered here so far--failure preeminently in a certain set of VINs, and either resulting in or caused by there being something in the engine that shouldn't have been there in the first place.

I still think I'm going to hold off a little longer in deciding to purchase a new WRX, but hopefully what I've found indicates as some have assumed, that the engine failures are merely the result of a manufacturing defect that has only affected a limited number of VIN's.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Dusty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote