Scooby Guru

Member#: 71092
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedonaScooby View Post
you sir just sold me a CB. i just need the most low key, small antenna'd, easiest to use for the 'tard'd CB available. Oh, and make it cheap and easy to install.
Aaaaaand that's where you run into a problem

In CB antennas, size matters. The longer it is, the better it works. Stubby won't impress anyone.

Remember those ungodly long steel whips that were all the rage on 4x4s in the 80s? That's, literally, the only correct length of antenna for CB. Anything shorter than that is a hack. The shorter you get, the more hacktastic it gets and the shorter the range. The shorter the range, the more likely you're not going to hear about something in time. So, to be most effective, you want the longest antenna you can.

So, you need long but you want stealthy. Go with a very thin whip painted black. One example is the Larsen NMO27B that I have, but there are other options. Keep in mind that most of these will be ham radio antennas designed to cover 10 and 12 meters (CB is 11m) so you'll need a SWR meter to guide you to cutting the antenna to the right length. If you're going to be a sissy and use a mag-mount, I recommend the Wilson Little Will. It's got a silver whip, so you'll have to paint it black once you cut it to length based on the SWR readings (EVERY antenna will have to be tuned to your specific setup). Like I told the other poster, a SWR meter is something you can "borrow" from RadioShack, so long as your setup never changes.

If you're a real man, you'll drill a hole and put an actual NMO mount into the sheet metal of the roof or trunk (roof is better, but only somewhat). If you're a sissy boy, you'll want a mag-mount in the same place.

CB-wise, the Midland 1001Z is cheap, easy to find, and easy to operate for a n00b. It performs pretty well and has all the necessary features without any costly bells and whistles.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
williaty is offline   Reply With Quote