View Single Post
Old 10-11-2002, 08:35 AM   #12
Austin
Scooby Guru

Member#: 7089
Chapter/Region: NWIC

Quote:
Originally posted by Sordid Philosopher
I'm really sorry to hear your problems, but it could still be a clogged return line...just because oil flows, doesn't mean enough oil flows.

I have a question for you too, since you have used both the VF29 and the VF34 - which do you like better? Why? What is spool up on each?
Can you think of a better way to check the return line than to pour oil in?

As for the spool up... Keep in mind this is with very little 34 experience, and I have no datalogs with exact numbers to back me up. Just eyeballing guages.

With my setup, the stock turbo will spool to 15psi by 2400 rpm in 4th on a level road.
The VF29 will spool to 15psi by 2900 rpm in 4th on a level road. 18psi by 3000 rpm.
The VF34 will spool to 15psi by 2900 rpm in 4th on a level road.

Having driven all three within the past two weeks...
The VF34 feels faster at the same boost pressure. I blindly added quite a bit of fuel to my VF29 map to turn it into my VF34 map, and I most likely added too much. That means with a few hours of tuning the VF34 would feel even faster.
The VF29 gives more of a punch down low... it makes you think it's spooling faster compared to the 34.
The stock turbo is the quickest to come back on boost after a shift. It's the most fun driving around town.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote