urabus555
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 102091
Vehicle:
1994 1.8l Impreza L
Open Class Build w/110hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB5 Clone View Post
Long-term, it's best to remove all the body putty. even if you do prep the actual weld arreas and leave rest of the goop on, the welds will lift the coating a bit and let water/salt/road grunge in, and this leads to localized rust probs after a few seasons.

and as to the question of seam weld or not, our team's second suby shell was not seam welded. after a couple of events, we could see how panels around the transmission tunnel had pulled apart 3/8" in places. Car got seam welded shortly thereafter. MUCH easier to do when car is totally stripped for cage work rather than after it's built.
Thank you - Thank you - Thank you

I have taken alot of flack for striping the body putty and seam welding my first car! My reasoning has been almost identical to the experience you've shared above.

By the way, I saw one of your Tulip's at a local RallyX (when it was between owners - as I understand it). That was a beautiful car! So much logical development. I wish I had a camera and a note pad. There were so many little improvements and tricks. It seemed like every time I looked at it there was some new solution to an inevitable problem. Very inspiring!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
urabus555 is offline   Reply With Quote