Member#: 215369
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
'07 STI - Alice
Urban Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Pit View Post
Alright

So I'm having doubt on both 5speed Turbo baja's that I found for sale at a decent price.. one had a salvage title and the other one isn't the color/optiomilage/combo I really wanted.
Alex
That was my exact same dilema, exactly haha.

What I did was bought the auto turbo, the exact one that I wanted, and planned to do a 5 speed swap, down the road. If you keep the car at stock power level, you can MAYBE get away with the 5 speed. It is sooooo freakin fragile. That is why everyone calls it the "glass tranny" I HIGHLY recommend shlling out the few extra clams and getting the 6 speed.

Kingof, it looks like I did forget the pedals, I just did that swap from an 04 STI pedal set, almost direct bolt in ALMOST.

I am working on "master swap list" for these kids of swaps, it will take me a few days because there is SO much detail haha.

With a 5 speed swap, you're looking at around 3K-3.5K of parts with good milege on an 05/06 or so tranny. Labor will be around 1.5K leaving you 4.5-5K in the hole. A 6 speed swap is about 4K (with good deals) and about 1.5K install, leaving you at about 5.-6K. I definitely recommend going with a PROFESSIONAL install, not midas, or any place like that. Here in CT we have East Coast Swappers, they are #1 in the whole swapping industry here on the east coast, they are extremely knowledgeable and fair priced.

To me its common sense, the 5 speed WILL break at some point down the road, I guarantee it. With a good install, good parts, the 6 speed will outlast your car (with out absurd abuse)

Any other questions feel free for anyone to chime in! I have been looking up info on this for 6 months, I have a lot of knowledge!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
qmania2 is offline   Reply With Quote