69subaru360
Scooby Guru

Member#: 159682
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
1995 WRX
1998 2.5 RS

Default My EJ22/EJ205 hybrid

This recently happened to my EJ205. A rod bolt broke at the dragstrip and exited out the top of the block. It was just one of those things, I was running a lot of power on the stock engine.

So I thought about it some and decided I really want a V7 or V8 EJ207. I found a few engines I could afford. But then I got to thinking about it and what I really want is a complete swap with 6 speed, brembos, maybe even rhd if I get a halfcut. So I need to save up for a while longer.

I decided to try something I have been thinking about for a while on a temporary basis. A phase 1 EJ22 shortblock with EJ205 wrx heads. When you think about it, the EJ205 shortblock isn't really any better than an old EJ22. It has the same crank, just with #3 thrust, same rods, and cast pistons. The pistons have 14.5 cc dish to them. I'm using 3 layer mls headgaskets for a 99 phase 2 EJ22. The older graphite gaskets are thicker and would lower compression but I am nervous using them with a turbo. I calculate roughly 8.8 to 1 compression with the 49cc EJ205 heads these gaskets.

I got a shortblock from a 93 legacy wagon at a u-pull junkyard for $40. I gave it a good cleaning and started putting it together. Here's where I am at, the head go on tomorrow. If anyone has any reasons why this won't work let me know, it seem like a good plan so far.

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
69subaru360 is offline   Reply With Quote