driverofLYN274
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 146983
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2003 Subaru WRX Cobb
OTS Stage II PSM

I used to drive this tank:

1989 Ford Crown Victoria P72 Police Package. Equipped with Ford's mighty 5.8L 351ci Windsor w/ their Variable Venturi carburetor (worst two-barrel ever) which produced a ground-pounding 180hp and 295 ft.-lbs. This power was transferred through Ford's AOD 3-speed automatic w/ overdrive (which forced an upshift at 4500 RPM and constantly slid in and out of OD). I picked it up as a bargain for $1000. It also had two blue vinyl bench seats, front and rear. At purchase, it had just over 163k on the clock.

On the trip back from Mentor, Ohio, the battery managed to ground out against the frame, which began a whole slew of problems. Besides normal old Ford stuff like hood releases not working and sticky starter solenoids, I found out after its first oil change that it sported a cracked lifter. I replaced the coil, distributor and had to fish the broken distributor gear out of the block the following week. Afterward, the cat blew out, so I put straight duals on it. I then replaced all four bald, mismatched tires and an external transmission fluid cooler hose that decided to shred itself. Later, I found that the battery was undersized for the car's electrical system. Once I replaced that, things started working like the horn and the spotlight (very useful by the way). After about a year of an averaged 9-10 MPG city and 17-18 highway (It had a 2.73 rear gear) and randomly stalling out while moving, the brake lines finally blew out at 184k, so I junked it.

Although, I will say when I was in a band it had a certain "Blues Brothers" nature about it. Major cool points. Plus, we could fit all four of us plus all our instruments in the car at once. It was also surprisingly good in the snow.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
driverofLYN274 is offline   Reply With Quote