Old 11-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #8
canuck37
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 87491
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
03 Sport
Blk/Slvr

Yup - you're right and they may be outdated but the law is the law and they stick to it here.

In Calif., the cops block the road and only let through those vehicles with chains installed - period. Doesn't matter if you are a full on 4x4, AWD, or whatever - no chains, no go through.

I need to travel through some passes that go through this occasionally during bad storms in the winter and cannot afford to be turned back. It isn't a matter of my confidence, tire type/brand, studs or not, or the ability of the Subie to handle it. Being a good Canuck, I know snow and know the car can deal with it and I have GY ATTs - great tires. I can drive it in Canada no problem in the snow - here in California, they get paranoid about it. Since I live in both places, and need to go back and forth a lot, I need a solution. For years, I have "lucked out" and dodged the nasty storms. The reason I brought this whole thing up again is the comment from the new Subie Service Manager referred to in my earlier email.

Bottom line is if I can't figure out a way to install either cable chains or links on either front or rear and drive the vehicle safely, I will probably be forced to sell my beloved Baja.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev m View Post
I was thinking that too, but I personally do go further and run Blizzaks in the winter.

HOWEVER, I'm under the impression the OP is talking about driving on routes and in conditions where chains are MANDATED by the state.

I do wonder though, in consditions like that, are studded snows an option or does it HAVE to be chains?

I also wonder if such regulations are a bit outdated if you were talking about a vehicle as good in snow as a Scoobie, along with say at least dedicated snow tires. The Baja (and the Forester before it) have always been ABSOLUTELY ROCK SOLID in the Blizzards and ice storms I've gone out to "play" in.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
canuck37 is offline   Reply With Quote